Friday, August 26, 2011

Feed Me Friday!!! A Recipe for My Special Rub...

And it's hotter than heck here... over 100 degrees! Whew! We're kinda sweltering, but hoping that our fellow countrymates survive Hurricane Irene. Cheers to you over there!

But, we're barbecuing this weekend! And pork ribs (with my special rub!) are on the menu...

It took me TWO years to get this just right, because I'm that picky! But it was worth it... I love it, my hubs loves it, my whole family loves it, and every time my hubs takes some to work for lunch, he always gets asked for the recipe.

Well folks... it's not a secret, and I aim to share, but... please do not sell it or make a profit off it, because... that wouldn't be fair.

Please note: I use light brown sugar and I grind my own spices, making them extra special fresh.

Lisa's Sweet N Spicy Rub N Grub

3/4 c. brown sugar
2 T. chili powder (just powdered chilis, NOT the preseasoned chili mix!)
2 T. ground cumin
2 T. garlic powder (I'd use fresh, but it would be ultra sticky!)
1 t. ground black pepper
1 T. onion powder (I grind up dried onion flakes for a little more texture)
1 t. fine sea salt (gives it a *special* taste)
1 t. ground cayenne pepper (more or less, depending on your taste buds... the sugar balances it out)
1 T. paprika (I prefer the smokey Spanish-type, but go with whatever gets your gusto)

(recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, or however many 'led you wanna do. just put the leftovers in an air tight canister AWAY from heat)

Mix it all together (I thread it through my fingers and crumble the grains between my fingers [clean hands, of course!] to get most of the lumpy bumpies out and make sure that it's really all smooth and as consistent as possible.). Rub it all over your meat GENEROUSLY. Massage the stuff in, and leave it with quite a bit on top that still sticks to it. Let stand at room temp about 30 min (while your coals are getting ready). Spray foil with cooking spray (I use olive oil cooking spray). Wrap the meat up semi-loosely, leaving room for steam, but not too much, and crimp the edges of the foil (if you used two pieces do it all over, if you used only one, then at each seam), sealing it well. Your coals (or grill) should be about ready, and move them over to one side (or turn off one side gas burner). Put the meat over the unlit side, close the lid, and let it slow cook for 1 hour, then flip it, and do the same thing (be sure to check your heat source every once in a while to make sure it's still good!). Carefully take off the foil (there will be LOTS of juices... you can try to salvage them and make a sauce* or just let them go and give off steam, but DO NOT open it over the flames and put out your heat source. you're NOT done yet!) and place your meat over the DIRECT heat (the flames/coals... whatever) for 10 minutes each side to get the grill marks and finish it off. Let your meat rest covered (I use a turkey roaster) for 10 minutes, then carve and serve.

*If you'd like to make a sauce with your rescued juices, simple get them into a sauce pan and simmer them over med heat until syrupy. Makes for finger-lickin' goodness! MMM... mmm... YUM!

This is especially great with pork ribs (spareribs are better than country style) or even a roast. I love it with beef and chicken, too... and it's pretty great on veggies. Have a great grub!

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing the luv! Feel free to look around to other posts. I so appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Love to know you were here! Have a happy day!