Thursday, April 8, 2010

Viva Arroz! (the Gringa version of Mexican Rice)

I live in an extremely mulit-cultural family. I have cousins that are black, cousins that are white, cousins that are colored like a rainbow, etc. My motto? It doesn't matter what "color" you are... it's what you bring to the table... FOOD talks! FOOD also rocks!

I love to play with food and will often re-create and adjust a recipe I've tasted in a restaurant. My kids love this taste-bud feature. We were tired of boring Mexican Rice, made with rice (of course!), stock and tomato sauce. So... after tasting LOTS of different rices, I played and added, took away, and tested for.ev.er. This is my ultimate rice recipe. By my Mexican portion of the family (my husband's), they consider me "white" (a gringa).
And today... I'm taking cue from the Pioneer Woman and adding LOTS of pictures. (I figure this way, my kids will always have something to look at to show them how it's done, so if I'm not around, they have somewhere to go looksey.) Thanks, Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond) for your inspiration!
The Ingredients:
  • 2 cups white long-grain rice
  • 2-3 Tablespoons chopped onion (to taste)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons chopped tomato (to taste)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
  • 2 teaspoons ketchup (yes... you heard me)
  • 4 ounces (half a can) tomato sauce
  • 4 cups HOT water
First, set your burner to medium. Too high and you will get a dark brown... burnt! rice. Too low and it could just take. for.ever. [The trick with this rice, to make it perfect (because I'm a perfectionist! lol!) is to keep the temperature at a level that evenly browns the rice and carmelizes the onions and garlic. You'll see in the recipe... wait for it...]

Place your 2 quart pot (that has a lid that fits - VERY important!) over the flame. It's ok to set it down at this point. Add your oil and heat.

Next, add the rice to your hot oil, then add the chopped onion and tomato (see how "rustic" mine look...). Then...
add your garlic (I use a garlic press at this point). Stir to coat. Stir occasionally (every couple of minutes). The rice should begin to brown and the onions and garlic to carmelize. Everything, including the rice will become fragrant, filling your house (or campsite) with a wonderful scent.
When the rice is golden and the onions are slightly browned, add the tomato sauce, ketchup and bouillon. (Be careful, this could cause scalding steam... in other words... quickly pour and STEP BACK!)

Mix it all together. Uh huh, being very careful of the steam. Now... pour in your HOT water and stir again. When it all begins to bubble turn down the heat (just a little teeny bit) and put your lid on. Set the timer for 20 minutes. No more, no less. Leave it alone! When the timer goes off, be sure to listen, 'cause it will... Turn off your heat (if you are using an electric burner, move the pan/pot from the burner to a cold burner). Let the hot pot rest (LEAVE THE LID ON!!!) for 5 more minutes (that's right... set the timer again).
Fluff it up and you have the "Perfect" Mexican Rice, by this little Gringa!
(for added "fresh" flavor, add a little chopped cilantro and the juice of 1/2 lime)
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing the luv! Feel free to look around to other posts. I so appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Love to know you were here! Have a happy day!