Friday, May 19, 2017

A Year of Card Techniques - World of Watercolors (May)

Welcome to A Year of Card Techniques Blog Hop where each month we feature a different card technique. We’ve assembled a team of card makers who range from new to advanced, so you’ll see a great variety of cards and ideas.
For May, we are venturing into the world of watercolor. There are so many watercoloring techniques available to us today; far too many to list here. But actions speak louder than words; so our team has worked with their favorite mediums to bring you lots of examples and loads of inspiration.
If you would like to check out our past technique hops, you can do that here:
We have an amazing sponsor this month, Jodie Park of Close to My Heart:

Please take a moment to check out the great products Close to My Heart has to offer. To visit Jodie on Facebook page, just click here.
And the awesome prize this month is:
We really appreciate feedback, so please leave a comment on each of the blogs in the hop today. One winner will be chosen from all comments on the hop as of May 26, 2017. The winner will be announced in our June hop; so be sure to come back next month.
And speaking of winners, the lucky hopper from last month is Golden Goddess Designs; picked by Random Name Picker. Congratulations! Please get in touch with last month’s sponsor, Wilma Payne at wpayne@email.com, by May 26th to claim your prize.
You should have arrived here from the Card A Day Challenge (Aren't those girls AWESOME?!?!). If you're visiting here first, you might want to start at the beginning so you don't miss a thing and increase your chances of winning by commenting on each blog.

And now... we are off to my mishaps adventures!

I began with these... the Windsor Newton Watercolor Pens. (Yes!!! I said, "PENS!!!") Which side to use? The point (definitely not a fine-tip) or the brush... Um... BRUSH it is!
And then I did something fun. At least I thought I did... I sprayed "snow" on watercolor paper and let it dry. (L-O-V-E that texture. Kinda like the "orange-peel" on textured walls.) Then, I brushed on color, sprayed on water, and let that baby run! OOOH!!! I really liked it! And then... I let it dry. Oops! It was SO hard... I wasn't about to put any of my paper cutters through THAT mess. So, I took a photo and tried to print it. After several print-head cleanings... it came out pink magenta'ish. And I'm SO not down with that. I had to go another route...
And so... I drew dots and lines on watercolor paper. See? (Say it with me..., "Oooh! Ahh!")
And then I spritzed them with agua fresca (that's Espanole for "fresh water"). And let it run. I turned them and turned them, so the color would get everywhere.
I didn't like the way the dotted one was going, so I blotted it a tad with a paper towel Um... It took out most of the color, so... I placed the striped one on top and pressed it in, giving it a little more "oomph." (I do like the way the texture turned out but decided it really wasn't for this project...)
Loving the striped one, I stamped a "thank you" on it (I need LOTS of Thank You cards and am WAY behind in getting some out...), layered it on a green card base and called him 'er done!
Now you’re off to visit with Sandy! She'll be sure to show you another dimension world. Hope you had fun and thanks for stopping by. See you next month with another technique!
Here’s the full line-up in case you get lost:

15 comments:

  1. Lisa, I never heard of "snow" spray. Not fond of the real thing, but I sure love the look on your paper. It's a very pretty look. I love the colors you used on your panels...it's great when the water...or agua fresca...does all the work. And I'll say it with you ooh...aah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always enjoy reading about your experience. And I love how you went with the dots and diagonal stripes. Great job, as always. And always great to hop with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I think you should try the snow technique again only next time cut the card to size first. It is a cool look. Your striped card looks great, too. Thanks so much for hopping along with us this month.

    Sharon
    A Piece Of (my) Heart Blog
    **Make sure to visit my blog to grab some really great FREE Digi Sentiments.**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, thanks for taking us through your creative process of making watercolors work. Love how you started with the snow effect (have to try this myself) and the the dots and strips...great job. Thank you so much for hopping with us :-) See you next month :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I've never seen watercolor pens. I like what you did with them and how your card turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work! I had just recently watched a video using these water color pens. Now I might have to go buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love how striped panel turned out! And I really appreciate your commentary - makes it very fun to read! But I must say, you are too hard on yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Watercolor PENS? I had no idea! Love your ideas and cards. Oh and BTW, I love reading your blog - your sense of humor appeals to mine, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ideas! I loved reading your process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That snow gives a very interesting texture. I never thought to color it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how your final card turned out and thanks for sharing your mishaps and humor as always! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooooo, I am likening those pens. Great strip card.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing the luv! Feel free to look around to other posts. I so appreciate you stopping by and commenting. Love to know you were here! Have a happy day!